MotorcycleFlameWars.com

Freedom to Speak Uncensored!
It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sena update
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:44 pm 

When I lived in SoCal I rode out to the desert a lot even in the summer. Less people. I found that a mesh jacket along with polyester t-shirt (with a skull on it of course) regular BDU pants and touring boots were fairly comfortable and as long as I stayed hydrated I was good to go. Here in Comancheria it is as hot as the desert but extremely humid as well. How does this relate to the Sena 20S? Well I originally attached the unit using the oem supplied plastic bracket with sticky two sided tape to adhere it to the side of the helmet. On the ride over the weekend it was hot about 100 degrees and extremely humid. The tape melted away and the unit was left dangling held on by the speaker wires. The design of the helmet limits the position one may attach something external to the helmet. There a slide mechanism that controls the darkened eye shield and right next to that a snap fastener that holds the lining in place. The ideal position for the Sena of course. I was forced to use the original aluminum mounting bracket attaching it much farther to the rear as not to hinder the snap or slide. This also hinders the collars ability to attach properly but seems to be enough to be held in place. It now sits so far back on the helmet that the boom microphone is not long enough to reach the ideal position for usability. Luckily the kit comes with a wired button mike that has wire long enough to attach it in a good position. Since I am not using the intercom at present I disconnected the boom mike leaving the unit without one. I will add the button mike when I get another unit. Even though it sits a lot farther back it is still easily accessed and usable. The attachment failure was more due to the heat than the humidity but it was painfully obvious I will need to get some mesh riding pants if I want to be comfortable on the high humidity rides in the summer here.

Post subject: Re: Sena update
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:40 am 

Can you actually hear and talk with the Bluetooth while riding? I get a fair amount of wind noise with the Tiger in particular though my Neotech blocks most of it. Seems like it would be difficult to hold a conversation either way.

Ditto on the humidity, I don't care for that at all. I wear Columbia ROC pants most of the time I'm not in shorts and they're light enough to be comfortable yet somewhat tear resistant. I used to love my 'stitch Darian pants but with all the rain up here they seem to have shrunk.. (aheem)...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:52 am 

SARNALI wrote:
Can you actually hear and talk with the Bluetooth while riding? I get a fair amount of wind noise with the Tiger in particular though my Neotech blocks most of it. Seems like it would be difficult to hold a conversation either way.
Ditto on the humidity, I don't care for that at all. I wear Columbia ROC pants most of the time I'm not in shorts and they're light enough to be comfortable yet somewhat tear resistant. I used to love my 'stitch Darian pants but with all the rain up here they seem to have shrunk.. (aheem)...

I haven't used the intercom portion yet but will eventually get another unit for the wife's helmet. Once I trimmed the windscreen on the RT to the right angle music came through a lot clearer but it is not as clear as you would get in a car. It is still hampered by the remaining wind noise. I listen to a radio classics channel on Sirius that broadcasts the old mystery, detective and cowboy shows from the 30's and 40's. They come through loud and clear and are more easily heard than the music channels. That leads me to believe the intercom feature would work well. I will need to get some mesh riding pants for sure. The humidity is more of a factor here than I anticipated. Olympia has a nice reasonably priced pair with CE rated armor. I think I'll give em a try. Thank goodness they come in big boy sizes. I've also been using Under Armor synthetic underwear I bought at Cabelas. A lot better than cotton.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:26 pm 

WTF is up with actually wanting to TALK with The Wife while riding? I thought we got on these fucking murdersickles to get-away from that nagging?

Oderint Dum Metuant

политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
(politiki predpochitayut bezoruzhnykh krest'yan)

"Come and get one in the yarbles, if you have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:59 pm 

The_AirHawk wrote:
WTF is up with actually wanting to TALK with The Wife while riding? I thought we got on these fucking murdersickles to get-away from that nagging?

Emergency Doctors orders use only.