MotorcycleFlameWars.com

Freedom to Speak Uncensored!
It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Guzzi model
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:16 am 

It looks like MG is not competing with the H-D Streetglide.

I think it looks pretty cool, especially the red heads.

http://www.motorcycle.com/features/2017 ... eview.html

—Lord Melbourne (1779-1848), doing a pretty neat job of summing up the Obama era.

Post subject: Re: New Guzzi model
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:57 pm 

Any Moto Guzzi has more appeal than any HD. They are doing a great job with this platform. I sill want a Griso.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:47 pm 

I've always had a thing for redheads...

The Guzzi looks pretty good, too!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:28 am 

But did they have to put the big front wheel on it? Apparently it's so oversize they had to add a spring on the fork to control wheel flop.

Compromising sound engineering for fashion on a motorcycle is dumb. There's plenty of other ways to make your design statements (like cool red heads).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:39 am 

I always liked redheads myself too. And Guzzi's, though sadly not this one.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:15 pm 

Kindly Doc Moore wrote:
But did they have to put the big front wheel on it? Apparently it's so oversize they had to add a spring on the fork to control wheel flop.

Compromising sound engineering for fashion on a motorcycle is dumb. There's plenty of other ways to make your design statements (like cool red heads).

It's what the children are into these days Kenneth.

—Lord Melbourne (1779-1848), doing a pretty neat job of summing up the Obama era.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:58 pm 

zzuB wrote:
Kindly Doc Moore wrote:

It's what the children are into these days Kenneth.

Yeah, I know. The baggists at Daytona seem to have an escalating battle as to who can put the most ridiculously large front wheel on their bike. I figure the first guy who puts one on that's taller than his ape-hangers will be declared the winner.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:59 am 

At the Ace in London I talked to an old guy(probably only a few years older than me) who had a V7. His rationale was that he had a hard time with bigger heavier bikes and the V7 was a better fit for him. He made sure to mention his bike could do the ton no problem. There were a lot of Guzzis there that day and the old guy absolutely loved the California but added that it was way too big for him. Having never been attracted to cruiser style bikes other than having an appreciation for their looks I like the idea that Moto Guzzi is developing this platform to appeal to a broader range of potential customers. There is a bike out there for everyone. There are a lot of design elements on this version I like but it is too big for me. To me my RT is huge at 600lbs. If there is a purpose to a bigger front wheel I'm all in. Having one for aesthetic value is like having fake air scoops. They bring nothing to the party. Here's to light nimble bikes.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:45 am 

Jmdonald wrote:
. To me my RT is huge at 600lbs. If there is a purpose to a bigger front wheel I'm all in. Having one for aesthetic value is like having fake air scoops. They bring nothing to the party. Here's to light nimble bikes.

A 21 inch front on a dirt bike or DP is perfect, on a bagger they just look stupid, specially combine with the looong bags and air shocks that let the bike sit on the ground. Different strokes I guess..

I'm sorry Jim, but your RT is huge, I'm in the Seruzawa-under-500lbs camp myself. The '79 R100RT I had looks like a minibike compared to the new RT's.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:38 pm 

SARNALI wrote:
Jmdonald wrote:
. To me my RT is huge at 600lbs. If there is a purpose to a bigger front wheel I'm all in. Having one for aesthetic value is like having fake air scoops. They bring nothing to the party. Here's to light nimble bikes.

A 21 inch front on a dirt bike or DP is perfect, on a bagger they just look stupid, specially combine with the looong bags and air shocks that let the bike sit on the ground. Different strokes I guess..

I'm sorry Jim, but your RT is huge, I'm in the Seruzawa-under-500lbs camp myself. The '79 R100RT I had looks like a minibike compared to the new RT's.

For a dedicated tourer I find the RT fairly agile even with the extra heft. A few years ago I rode my roadster up to Death Valley with some Harley guys I know. They all had Road Kings. One guy had a Triumph Thunderbird cruiser. The wind was so bad it felt like it was blowing me all over the road. They hardly noticed. I usually ride the old roadster every other weekend. I road it today on some of the country roads around here and it is noticably more nimble than the RT. The RT is great on the open road. The full fairing and the upright posture make it super comfy over longer distances. Growing up in Ohio I rode a lot of two lane country roads on my CB350. It was a the perfect ride back in those days. This week I have been fantasizing about a Speed Triple. It's on the list.