MotorcycleFlameWars.com

Freedom to Speak Uncensored!
It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HD settlement
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:55 pm 

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2016/08/18/harley-davidson-epa-emissions-settlement-defeat-devices/88944648/

Whadayathink?

Post subject: Re: HD settlement
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:27 pm 

Standard leftist graft.

The first thing I would do as Prez would be to fire everyone at the EPA and then close it permanently. It's gone way off it's mission and now pollutes more than the polluters when it attempts to "fix" something.

I believe Kevin Cameron from Cycle world pointed out years ago that the EPA's own studies showed that if every motorcycle on earth were removed, there would be zero difference in the environment.

BTW, my Moto Guzzi is emitting dangerous levels of pollutants now because I had to fix the EPA/Euro mandates that made it lean surge and run hot. She's a dream now and I won't say what dangerous aftermarket devices I put on it.

—Lord Melbourne (1779-1848), doing a pretty neat job of summing up the Obama era.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:17 pm 

This is a prime example of government over reach. They fucked Volkswagen they fucked Harley Davidson. They fucked Martha Stewart. What are the damages? The answer is none. The EPA is not the only agency that needs to be disbanded. Fuck them.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:07 pm 

They fucked the gooks too - Hyundai reported CAFE averages according to US Gov mandated Testing.... then the EPA called shenanigans. Probably at the behest of GM, whom has lost market share to them.

Fuck 'em.

Oderint Dum Metuant

политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
(politiki predpochitayut bezoruzhnykh krest'yan)

"Come and get one in the yarbles, if you have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!"

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:15 pm 

I like clean air myself and don't like noisy assholes fucking with my peace and quiet..

The problem of course is one of volume (ahem) IE when there weren't that many bikes around people didn't really bitch too much, though the "less sound-more ground" program was started way back in the 70's for dirt bikes..

Now every ya-hoo in the world has a Bad-Azz cruiser and has to run drag pipes on their V-twin peepee extenders or race cans on their sport bikes, you can see people cringe on a nice day as wave after wave of noisy fucktards roll by blipping the throttle like it's impressing everyone.

You my friend on your most likey decent sounding Guzzi are caught in the blowback. If they coupled the "performance mods" with a quiet exhaust system no one would say a word or even know the difference. Instead people insist on making a spectacle of themselves and there you go. Enough people complain and your local vote whore will surly try to do something about it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:34 pm 

SARNALI wrote:
I like clean air myself and don't like noisy assholes fucking with my peace and quiet..

The problem of course is one of volume (ahem) IE when there weren't that many bikes around people didn't really bitch too much, though the "less sound-more ground" program was started way back in the 70's for dirt bikes..

Now every ya-hoo in the world has a Bad-Azz cruiser and has to run drag pipes on their V-twin peepee extenders or race cans on their sport bikes, you can see people cringe on a nice day as wave after wave of noisy fucktards roll by blipping the throttle like it's impressing everyone.

You my friend on your most likey decent sounding Guzzi are caught in the blowback. If they coupled the "performance mods" with a quiet exhaust system no one would say a word or even know the difference. Instead people insist on making a spectacle of themselves and there you go. Enough people complain and your local vote whore will surly try to do something about it.

The EPA settlement wasn't about noise. It was about tinkering with fuel maps.

There are plenty of LOUD exhausts for Guzzi's as well. I just didn't buy any of them.

I sold the Duece because I couldn't quiet down those V&H pipes enough even after putting baffles in.

The newer model Harleys sound good without being too loud. I've seen quiet a few around and the guys are running stock exhaust. We just need to keep them away from the posers.

—Lord Melbourne (1779-1848), doing a pretty neat job of summing up the Obama era.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:49 pm 

zzuB wrote:

There are plenty of LOUD exhausts for Guzzi's as well. I just didn't buy any of them.

I sold the Duece because I couldn't quiet down those V&H pipes enough even after putting baffles in.

The newer model Harleys sound good without being too loud. I've seen quiet a few around and the guys are running stock exhaust. We just need to keep them away from the posers.

The noise is what draws attention. If the posers weren't pissing everyone off with their noise they wouldn't have drawn the scrutiny that led to the EPA's discovery that the fuel maps had been adjusted. They would content themselves with fucking with power plants and industry and so on.

A case in point is one of our smaller boilers. it's certified as Low NOx, which means it can't exceed 9ppm Oxides of Nitrogen in the flue gas, it has a exhaust gas recirculation system similar to a cars EGR valve that's fairly finicky to dial in. If it exceeds 9ppm, which it did by hitting 9.5 or even 10ppm on occasion the EPA fines the shit out of the company.

When that happens we have to switch to the other boilers in that building that are just 50 year old straight through burners not certified Low NOx and run them. They put out around 38~40 ppm NOx but because they're not "certified" we can run them all day with no trouble.

Pointing out that # 2 boiler running a little rich is still almost four times cleaner than # 3 on a good day does absolutely no good as the one is "certified" and the other is not, so yes, Total bureaucratic bullshit, nothing to do with clean air.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:20 pm 

SARNALI wrote:
zzuB wrote:

The noise is what draws attention. If the posers weren't pissing everyone off with their noise they wouldn't have drawn the scrutiny that led to the EPA's discovery that the fuel maps had been adjusted. They would content themselves with fucking with power plants and industry and so on.

A case in point is one of our smaller boilers. it's certified as Low NOx, which means it can't exceed 9ppm Oxides of Nitrogen in the flue gas, it has a exhaust gas recirculation system similar to a cars EGR valve that's fairly finicky to dial in. If it exceeds 9ppm, which it did by hitting 9.5 or even 10ppm on occasion the EPA fines the shit out of the company.

When that happens we have to switch to the other boilers in that building that are just 50 year old straight through burners not certified Low NOx and run them. They put out around 38~40 ppm NOx but because they're not "certified" we can run them all day with no trouble.

Pointing out that # 2 boiler running a little rich is still almost four times cleaner than # 3 on a good day does absolutely no good as the one is "certified" and the other is not, so yes, Total bureaucratic bullshit, nothing to do with clean air.

Don't tell Ken. He thinks they're all well-meaning planet lovers.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:53 pm 

Hell I'm a planet lover! it's the hypocrisy that's annoying, I think the intent is fine..