MotorcycleFlameWars.com

Freedom to Speak Uncensored!
It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Honda polish
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:50 pm 

Back in the Nineties a friend recommended that I use Honda Polish when detailing my motorcycle. I had always used a pre-cleaner after washing then applying a nice carnuba wax at the end. Honda polish back in the day had some kind of super secret solvent in it that really did clean the surface while you added on a decent coat of wax. I'm not sure when they changed the formula but it was never the same after that. I've been using Original Bike Spirits since. It sucks.

Post subject: Re: Honda polish
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:34 pm 

Yeah the new Honda stuff is not the same. Your bike is plastic. I use Plexus. It's not cheap but is probably the closest thing to the old Honda polish.

—Lord Melbourne (1779-1848), doing a pretty neat job of summing up the Obama era.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:29 am 

zzuB wrote:
Yeah the new Honda stuff is not the same. Your bike is plastic. I use Plexus. It's not cheap but is probably the closest thing to the old Honda polish.

Love Plexus. Quit buying it when it went from $6/can to $28/can. In the space of a couple of months.

It was sometime in the late '90s the Honda polish went TU as to effectiveness. It sucks now.

Oderint Dum Metuant

политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
(politiki predpochitayut bezoruzhnykh krest'yan)

"Come and get one in the yarbles, if you have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!"

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:07 am 

I use the Pro Honda chain lube, seems to stay on and not too dirty. I just use Maguire's soap to clean and Zymol wax to shine, really seems to work well. Zep Orange degreaser from Home Depot works good on brake dust and road grunge and doesn't shit bomb the environment like a petroleum based degreaser.

Being a Left Coast Libtard that kinda' stuff's important to me..

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:34 pm 

Meguiar's (liquid) Cleaner Wax for the shiny bits. WD-40 to cut the chain lube on the rear wheel. Dishwashing liquid to wash the beast.

The old ST doesn't have any chrome, except the fork stem nut and the brake lever adjuster.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:25 am 

I think I have used every product mentioned except Plexus. Detailing my bike or car has always been a meditative task for me ever since I cleaned my first mini bike in my grandparents barn. Novus plastic polish sounds a lot like Plexus. I have a Novus 3 stage kit that I used to take the scratches out of the roadsters windscreen but Plexus sounds like more of a winner. I'll have to try some. Sometimes you have to start all over on the kit and process. Still remember the Honda chain lube. I will miss the old Honda polish. Fuckers.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:22 pm 

SARNALI wrote:
I use the Pro Honda chain lube, seems to stay on and not too dirty. I just use Maguire's soap to clean and Zymol wax to shine, really seems to work well. Zep Orange degreaser from Home Depot works good on brake dust and road grunge and doesn't shit bomb the environment like a petroleum based degreaser.

You've always been able to find that balance between delicate and manly.

—Lord Melbourne (1779-1848), doing a pretty neat job of summing up the Obama era.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:09 am 

zzuB wrote:
SARNALI wrote:

You've always been able to find that balance between delicate and manly.

It's a gift, really........

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:53 am 

Jmdonald wrote:
I think I have used every product mentioned except Plexus. Detailing my bike or car has always been a meditative task for me ever since I cleaned my first mini bike in my grandparents barn. Novus plastic polish sounds a lot like Plexus. I have a Novus 3 stage kit that I used to take the scratches out of the roadsters windscreen but Plexus sounds like more of a winner. I'll have to try some. Sometimes you have to start all over on the kit and process. Still remember the Honda chain lube. I will miss the old Honda polish. Fuckers.

The Plexus is great stuff - finer than the Novus #1 polish, with a cleaning-agent that leaves faceshields and paint all splarkly and shiny like a new, uncirculated, 1981 penny. All in a convenient, ozone-depleting spray can. (two sizes - Tank Bag, and Garage Shelf)

Bring your Credit Card along when you go to purchase it.

The Platinum one with the high-limit.....

Oderint Dum Metuant

политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
(politiki predpochitayut bezoruzhnykh krest'yan)

"Come and get one in the yarbles, if you have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!"

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:18 am 

The_AirHawk wrote:
Jmdonald wrote:

The Plexus is great stuff - finer than the Novus #1 polish, with a cleaning-agent that leaves faceshields and paint all splarkly and shiny like a new, uncirculated, 1981 penny. All in a convenient, ozone-depleting spray can. (two sizes - Tank Bag, and Garage Shelf)

Bring your Credit Card along when you go to purchase it.

The Platinum one with the high-limit.....

I just bite the bullet and pay it.

I haven't found anything else as good.