MotorcycleFlameWars.com

Freedom to Speak Uncensored!
It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ethanol gas conditioner
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:35 pm 

It has always been in the back of my mind somewhere but ever since Pushrod's post I felt the need to find a fix. I have decided to try Lucas Oil Safeguard. It supposedly takes care of all the ethanol issues. It isn't very expensive and is available everywhere.

http://lucasoil.com/products/fuel-treat ... tabilizers

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:07 am 

What percentage of ethanol is in the fuel you have in your area? In FL the "regular " pumps say no more than 10%, although there are a few stations that have dedicated flex fuel pumps which I assume have much more.

I'm asking because fuel just isn't a problem for my vehicles. We do ride year around, so there's no storage issue.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:02 am 

Let me know how it works and I'll use some in my boat.

With any luck, we'll see the end of ethanol with The Donald in power.

—Lord Melbourne (1779-1848), doing a pretty neat job of summing up the Obama era.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:32 am 

Kindly Doc Moore wrote:
What percentage of ethanol is in the fuel you have in your area? In FL the "regular " pumps say no more than 10%, although there are a few stations that have dedicated flex fuel pumps which I assume have much more.

I'm asking because fuel just isn't a problem for my vehicles. We do ride year around, so there's no storage issue.

I am pretty sure Texas is an E10 state. I will double check on the next fill up. My understanding is that even if you drain the tank regularly (as in riding) the moisture in the fuel is still a corrosion issue. I have identified the few ethanol free gas stations here but they are too far away to be of any use to me.

Last edited by Jmdonald on Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:36 am 

zzuB wrote:
Let me know how it works and I'll use some in my boat.

With any luck, we'll see the end of ethanol with The Donald in power.

I'm not sure how to measure its effectiveness other than not having to replace any parts. The ethanol lobby is huge. Trump has bigger fish to fry. One can only hope he can effectively end the ethanol madness. Unfortunately hope is not a good strategy.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:51 am 

When my '07 K 1200 GT started acting up and stalling, one of the things the BMW dealer recommended was to put a few bottles of Chevron Techron fuel system additive in the tank, presumably to remove any accumulated water in the fuel. I tried it and it "seemed" to work, however I didn't keep the bike long after that so I don't know if it was a permanent fix or not. We have E10 gas here and most things seem to tolerate it well enough. The Tiger runs like poop through a goose on Shell or Chevron Premium so I kinda' think it was just BMW's notoriously fucked up EFI programming on the K 1200 GT model. Like I said I traded the K bike off on my Yamaha which also ran like a champ on the same gas.

Worth a try though, it did seem to offer some improvement...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:24 am 

I don't have any ethanol issues in the bikes because they get used all the time.

The boat sits and that is the problem. I think on the dock they sell fuel without ethanol but it's about $5 a gallon.

I think the Donald is going to fire all the losers in the EPA and we will be rid of it.

—Lord Melbourne (1779-1848), doing a pretty neat job of summing up the Obama era.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:03 am 

zzuB wrote:
I think the Donald is going to fire all the losers in the EPA and we will be rid of it.

Cargill, ADM and the corn lobby is way too big for that. I'm sure the Trumpster is happy to take their money whether those EPA commies like it or not