MotorcycleFlameWars.com

Freedom to Speak Uncensored!
It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Senator Cornyn
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:38 pm 

Senator Cornyn answered my suggestion not to compromise with Diane Feinstein on gun control. I made mention that we have an immigration problem not a gun problem.

Dear Mr. Donald:

Thank you for contacting me with your suggestions for federal firearms policy. I recognize the time and effort that you are dedicating to actively participate in the democratic process, and I am encouraged that you and other concerned citizens are committed to reducing gun violence in America.

Like every Texan, I want to prevent gun violence, and I believe this begins with fully enforcing existing gun laws. Under the current Administration, gun crime prosecutions have dropped significantly. This is a starting point: going after the criminals and those who lie on their background checks.

The federal government has also not adequately enforced the 2007 NICS Improvement Amendments Act, a law that is supported by organizations ranging from the National Rifle Association to the Brady Campaign. Passed unanimously by Congress following the Virginia Tech shootings, this law requires states to submit the mental health records of individuals who are adjudicated as a danger to themselves or others, so that they are prevented from legally purchasing firearms. It is worth noting that Texas has received high marks from the Government Accountability Office for its compliance with the law. Our state has shown how to make the necessary reforms while also protecting Second Amendment rights.

On August 5, 2015, I introduced the Mental Health and Safe Communities Act of 2015 (S. 2002), which would enhance the ability of local communities to identify and treat potentially dangerous, mentally-ill individuals. S. 2002 will help fix the existing background check system without expanding it, increase the use of treatment-based alternatives for mentally-ill offenders, and improve crisis response and prevention by local officials. The bill is endorsed by a diverse group of organizations, including the National Alliance on Mental Illness, and the National Association of Police Organizations. Federal and state authorities alike have criticized the Justice Department’s ambiguous guidelines that fail to include many existing mental illness records. Far too many mental health records remain stuck in a bureaucratic logjam. S. 2002 would help to clear that logjam and has been referred to the Senate Judiciary Committee, of which I am a member, for further consideration.

This is the debate we should be having—a debate that focuses on the real root causes of mass violence, and a debate that addresses the perilous intersection of guns and mental illness. We can tackle these problems without curtailing Second Amendment rights, and I will continue to push for effective solutions that protect communities while preserving our constitutional liberties.

I am always appreciative when Texans reach out and share their concerns. Thank you for taking the time to contact me.

Sincerely,

JOHN CORNYN
United States Senator

517 Hart Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 20510
Tel: (202) 224-2934
Fax: (202) 228-2856
http://www.cornyn.senate.gov

Please sign up for my monthly newsletter at http://www.cornyn.senate.gov/newsletter.

Post subject: Re: Senator Cornyn
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:30 pm 

Do you have any idea what that gobbledegook means?

Post subject: Re: Senator Cornyn
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:12 am 

seruzawa wrote:
Do you have any idea what that gobbledegook means?

My comments to the Senator were primarily about having an immigration problem not a gun problem and any compromise with Feinstein was an unacceptable option. His response (if it was his response) seems to omit any direct reference to the comments I made to to him. I believe this to be an instance of diatribe. His reference to the mentally ill implies the shooter in Orlando was mentally ill. The reality is he was a radical home grown Muslim fundamentalist. He could definitely distinguish between right and wrong and knew exactly what he was doing. I felt the need to send him a list of suggestions after the massacre in Orlando. Hence his mentally ill reference. He is correct in that we need to enforce existing gun laws. It is flawed thinking that the Government can create a no fly no buy list without due process for the individual citizen. Due process is a right for all citizens and the proper mechanism in this instance. Non citizens should not be afforded the same rights of citizens. Especially when it comes to non citizen Muslims. Short answer is............ No.