MotorcycleFlameWars.com

Freedom to Speak Uncensored!
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: K&N Oil Filters
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:12 pm 

After getting tired of messing with the Triumph filters because the recessed position on the Tiger makes removing and installing a pain in the ass, I bought a K&N filter because it has that neat 17mm nut soldered on top making removal and installation a breeze. Well the bike started leaking oil around the filter, quite badly actually. It was time to change oil anyhow and I had another K&N on hand so I put it on there. I've never yet had a spinon filter do that. I do NOT overtighten filters, or anything (Overtightening is far too common amongst shade tree mechanics) and I always use a torque wrench. I've yet to buy a used bike where the filter and drain plug weren't insanely overtightened.

So, either it was a defective filter or the K&Ns have issues. We'll see if the next one lasts more than 4K.

Post subject: Re: K&N Oil Filters
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:08 pm 

I have my own opinions as to the "Quality" of K&N products, which I will not go into further here. However, I have seen Empirical Evidence via a friend of mine (that actually builds and TUNES bikes for a living [primarily racebikes] using SCIENCE, YO! [to quote Jesse Pinkman] with Dynamometers and Wideband Sensors an' shit, and a lifetime of actually Walking The Walk when it comes to engines, primarily motos), that the K&N leaves a shitload of horsepower on the table, compared even to some cheap Uni-foam filter. Both Peak, and "under the curve".

I cannot imagine the oil-filters being any less shit-made than the air filters.

Harbor Freight has these GREAT "oil-filter sockets" that are die-cast aluminium, and come in a set of like 7 or 8 (mem'ry here), for like 10 bucks. One of them fits the Emgo-style filter PERFECTLY. Very easy to use, just like havin' that nut-thingie welded to the end of the filter. I also found a phenolic one at Mal~Wart several years-ago, works even better.

I always oil the gasket with clean engine oil and then wipe-clean the filter-mount on the engine (when I worked for Mal~Wart as an Automotive Mgr, I taught my guys to ALWAYS do that immediately prior to putting the new filter on - you will NEVER leave a gasket or debris on there that way), then tighten by hand 1/4 to 1/3 turn once it contacts the base. Never had a single return/complaint for filter-leaks once the Tech "got religion" on that. Made it easy to take the filter off when the car came in the next time, too.

Oderint Dum Metuant

политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
(politiki predpochitayut bezoruzhnykh krest'yan)

"Come and get one in the yarbles, if you have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!"

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:03 am 

I have a machined filter socket that makes it easy to change out the filter in tight spaces. The filter on my Roadster is on the bottom totally enclosed by the motor housing. I have been able to buy filters online significantly less than at the dealership. I have never used any K&N products other than the occasional air filter for a car I use to own. They were supposedly better than the OEM filter because of the substrate used in the filter material itself. Who the fuck knows. Like hunting, motorcycle maintenance is something I can do but at this point in my existence farm out to others because I can. I change the oil in the Roadster because it is easy. I have turned into a bourgeois selfish elitist snob. This mindset allows me to participate in the delusion of living in a free country. When changing oil I do somehow manage to reach a Zen-like state with the help of an adult beverage or two. I wonder if I could do that without the drinking. I doubt it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:54 am 

The stock Triumph filters were without indents so those wrenches wouldn't work. So I looked up the cross reference chart. Oh, fuck. The Triumph uses the same filter as my Forester. Never mind. I already have a wrench.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:27 pm 

seruzawa wrote:
The stock Triumph filters were without indents so those wrenches wouldn't work. So I looked up the cross reference chart. Oh, fuck. The Triumph uses the same filter as my Forester. Never mind. I already have a wrench.

English engineering. WTFO? No indents?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:51 pm 

Jmdonald wrote:
seruzawa wrote:

Their capitolist masters will happily sell you the appropriate strap wrench that fit's the recess, if you insist on your job stealing bourgeois oppression of the honest and hard working prolitariat by performing your own oil changes.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:09 pm 

SARNALI wrote:
Jmdonald wrote:
seruzawa wrote:

Their capitolist masters will happily sell you the appropriate strap wrench that fit's the recess, if you insist on your job stealing bourgeois oppression of the honest and hard working prolitariat by performing your own oil changes.

That's "capitalist masters, comrade. Time for your re-education. repeat after me:

Always hire dope smoking high school dropout proletariat slob to do my oil changes.
Always hire dope smoking high school dropout proletariat slob to do my oil changes.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:47 pm 

Right you are Tovarich Saruzawa, after watching my fill of dipshit "bike builders" on the Peoples TV I realize only tatted, pierced and weird hair-cutted hipsters are capable of such technical skillz as bolting after market shit together and changing oil on "builds" they have forgotten to install the drain plug on......