MotorcycleFlameWars.com

Freedom to Speak Uncensored!
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Dino or Synthetic?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:41 am 

I spent the money on Syn3 last oil change on a whim, I don't notice any difference and I wouldn't really expect to. My wallets a little lighter I guess. I'll most likely go back to plain old HD 360 that I've been using in all my previous Harleys next time around. Realistically if my oil temp got anywhere near the flash point of plain old dino oil I would imagine I had worse problems than syn vs. dino.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:05 am 

Actually, synthetic oil does have many virtues over dino oil. It doesn't get thick in cold weather which aids startup, it is a better lubricant than dino oil, and it keeps its vicosity at much higher temps than dino. dino oil breaks down badly after 250 degrees. Synthetic stays together up to 300 degrees. That is important for air cooled motors that may get stuck in a traffic jam on a 100 degree day. Not that anyone really NEEDS these advantages, but they are advantages nonetheless.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:22 pm 

This may be pure coincidence, but... I check my mileage religiously. The Sporty has gotten between 48 and 49 MPG on my work commute. Last month I changed to Mobil V-Twin synthetic and the last couple of fill-ups I've gotten between 50 and 52.

Is that significant?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:43 pm 

Empirical Evidence is complete Bullshit: reference "AGW", if you don't believe me.

Flat-Earther....

Oderint Dum Metuant

политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
(politiki predpochitayut bezoruzhnykh krest'yan)

"Come and get one in the yarbles, if you have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!"

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:13 pm 

The_AirHawk wrote:
Empirical Evidence is complete Bullshit: reference "AGW", if you don't believe me.

Flat-Earther....

I have a nice maxim. "If a science relies on authority over evidence it is a false science."

That would make psychology and sociology head the list of frauds but climate science isn't far behind. Physics, Chemistry, cytology... these rely almost exclusively on hard evidence. A whole load of frauds (called soft sciences) have put on the airs of science but they are just long lists of "expert opinions" by people who can't point to any demonstrable techniques or accurate predictions of events or results.