MotorcycleFlameWars.com

Freedom to Speak Uncensored!
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dino or Synthetic?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:53 am 

:shock:

My BIL has one of those nifty Honda inverter generators (E2000i). He is looking to replace the oil; the manual specifies only SJ or later 30 weight.

I have some Rotella Synth 5W-40 in the shop. I can't think of a reason not to use it. It may even be better for the application.

What do you say, MoFlamers?

Post subject: Re: Dino or Synthetic?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:58 am 

Oh Lord! Our first oil thread!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:08 pm 

My research says synthetic is always better because the molecules are more consistent allowing for less breakdown at higher temperatures. This also makes synthetics last longer. I have always been a Dino guy but now that I know I will go synthetic in the future.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:29 pm 

What is called "Synthetic" nowadays is merely hydrocracked conventional oil MARKETED as "Synthetic".

Better than "regular oil", but still inferior (in some instances) than a "real synthetic".

Oderint Dum Metuant

политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
(politiki predpochitayut bezoruzhnykh krest'yan)

"Come and get one in the yarbles, if you have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!"

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:48 pm 

I just got a generator myself and just put in the 30wt they supplied. I will probably put Harley Syn 20-50 in it when I change it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:44 pm 

zzuB wrote:
Oh Lord! Our first oil thread!

:lol: You are very welcome! Someone had to do it!

I'm thinking maybe an 'ashtray' query should be next!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:16 pm 

The_AirHawk wrote:
What is called "Synthetic" nowadays is merely hydrocracked conventional oil MARKETED as "Synthetic".

Better than "regular oil", but still inferior (in some instances) than a "real synthetic".

Are you implying there are synthetic oils that aren't petroleum based? Early Castrol, which was made from castor beans is the only one I've ever heard of.

Its a bit unfair to bust the oil company's chops because synthetic is petroleum based. The end product is vastly different from simple refined crude.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:21 pm 

I have never heard of an engine failing because someone used dino oil in it as long as the oil was changed at proper intervals and the correct grade was used. I'm sure that if there was any actual empirical evidence that synth was superior as far as engine longevity goes the data would have been promoted all over the internet and TV and radio. Some data indicates that some synth oils run a bit cooler. But since the engine is within temp spec with dino oil there's no compelling reason the spend the extra $.

So, buy synth if you like it. No one has ever proven any real superiority. In fact my Tiger had more valve noise and shifted worse when I used Mobil 1 in it..... supposedly one of "best" synths there is, that Mobil 1. At least a lot of people say so even though once again, no one can point to any scientific data that proves it.

Currently I'm using a Repsol 50/50. Mainly because it was cheapest of all the M/C specific oils at the nearby dealer. The bike is quieter and shifts better. But I have no illusions that the engine will last any longer. I've also had excellent results from RotellaT and it's dirt cheap compared to the "better" oils.

It's like the rumor that you have to replace your helmet if it falls off of a table. The rumors are started by people with a vested interest. Like an oil or helmet salesman.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:30 pm 

An oil thread!

I think the only advantage is longer service intervals. If you're going to change every 3000 you could use olive oil.

My BMW car service intervals are 15,000 miles.

—Lord Melbourne (1779-1848), doing a pretty neat job of summing up the Obama era.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:43 am 

zzuB wrote:
An oil thread!

I think the only advantage is longer service intervals. If you're going to change every 3000 you could use olive oil.

My BMW car service intervals are 15,000 miles.

That's because BMW is paying for the changes for three years. If you lease or trade often, 15k is fine, somebody else takes the hit. If you buy and keep your cars, a shorter interval is recommended. Talk to your lubrication consultant for details.